14 July 2006

Yes, I ized talked to my papa tonight and have learned that he has applied for a job where Psycho Bitch lives. However, the good news is that he offered to help me out with my health insurance, and he even brought it up! Still no hablo con hermano, but whatev. On another note, I love it when I leave work smiling. Today was so nice at the nursing home, despite the routine, "Oh great, (anonymous person) has pissed herself in the armchair" nuisances, and I felt really close to people and had a lot of fun with them, both residents and workers. I really wish I could work on the Rossberg unit all the time. Perhaps I can when/if I get CNA certified, although I would probably remain an activity aide and I imagine they'd need me in the other wings. Yeah...it's nice to feel connected with people, and every day is a challenge to me to be patient enough to understand the needs of others and be the person to fufil those needs for them or help them to the point where they feel self-sufficient enough to live their lives again. And it's hard, too, seing so many people frustrated with their situations and missing home or isolated, and I can understand why so many people's minds go elsewhere to leave the body behind. I guess something I realized today is that maybe I should encourage people to be where they're happiest. For example, some of the residents are really social and enjoy visiting with the staff and residents, joining the activities, etc., and some of them are so far out of it that they are incomprehensible. But I guess what I really learned today is that those who are somewhere else are often happier there, and I went there with one of the residents today. She is very cuddly and funny, and we definately shared a moment, one in which I understood her and slipped into her world, off of what to her (and probably is the truth) is a big stage, and she let me in on the secret of mind travel and interconnectedness all without saying a word, all with a wink in her eye and some small comment that reminded me of Thoreau and why I love to sit in my backyard Walden or the magic world of my Euro-beatnick coffeehouse I dream-painted behind the brick pillar in my loft...and it was so precious of her to show me the gift of being a nonconformist and a peaceful person and who/where I want to be in my own life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home